Intelligent Mechatronics Strand
The Institute of Technology Tralee has established a world-class research centre in the area of Intelligent Mechatronics. The Intelligent Mechatronics and RFID Centre [The IMaR Centre]. The principal theme of the IMaR Centre is the synergy between mechatronics and RFID for industrial applications in the highly technological manufacturing industry driven by new technology, innovation and global demand. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of engineering that includes a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, control engineering and computer engineering.
Analog and Digital Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Design
- Electronic schematic capture and simulation software devlopment;
- PCB layout design and assembly: surface mount and through hole;
- Design verification and validation.
Electronic Prototyping Design
- Mechanical enclosure design;
- Electronic testing and cables, harnesses and interconnects;
- Packaging and system intergration.
Mechanical Design and Prototyping
- CAD design services;
- Structural and component failure analysis through finite elements modeling (FEM);
- Prototyping and pilot scale production;
- 3D printing facilities.
System and Equipment Development
- Intelligent sensors, remote monitoring and control systems engineering;
- Signal conditioning: temperature, compensation, filtering, compression, digitalization, etc.;
- Precision instrumentation;
- Enhanced process automation development;
- Embedded microcontroller and microprocessor systems;
- Programmable logic devices: FPGA/CPLD design using VHDL;
- Analog and digital signal processing (DSP).
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) & Internet of Things (IOT)
The primary research focus is in the area of Knowledge Discovery in Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and Internet of Things (IOT) systems with a particular interest in projects that are applied and industrial in nature. The group has been leading the drive towards RFID and IOT adoption by Irish industry which is proportionally low compared with other EU countries. IMaR are the Irish representatives on a new EU Thematic Network focused on RFID technology originally called the RACENetworkRFID (www.race-networkrfid.eu) but now referred to as RFID in Europe, which was launched in March 2009. Dr. Pat Doody is currently Chair of the Management Board of the network. Other research expertise covers Artificial Intelligence, Sensor Networks, Reality Mining, Middleware Development, Mobile Software Development among others. The group is currently involved in a project identifying human behavior and interactions from sensor data using artificial intelligence techniques. This data can then be used to predict possible future interactions by that use or users with similar profiles. IMaR has also recently worked on projects involving wireless sensor networks, gathering data from sensors applied to wireless moats and then transmitting this data to a data warehouse where analysis was performed on the data providing information for a Management Information System using a web based digital dashboard. The group is also affiliated to the Internet of Things European Research Cluster (IERC) and the Future Internet Assembley (FIA). The group has a mixture of applied and theoretical skills.
Data Analytics, Software Devlopment and Artificial Intelligence
- Data analysis strategies;
- Develop an enhance machine learning techniques;
- Enhance networked and smart production and processing;
- Mobile software development;
- Middleware development;
- Digital dashboard development;
- BIGDATA / Data mining;
- Reality mining.
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
- RFID implementation strategies;
- Tag selection and reader infrastructure asset management and identification;
- Smart distribution techniques;
- Staff upskilling/training.